Join us in the fall for exciting theater classes!
Beck Center offers a variety of theater education opportunities for children, teens, and adults!
We provide curriculum that presents a variety of approaches and methodologies to aid the beginner as well as the experienced actor in discovering their true ability. Our esteemed Youth Theater program is one of the longest-running programs in the country, with four fully-produced titles performed on our stages each season.
ALICE’S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND
November 4 - 6, 2016 | Mackey Theater
- Adapted by Tim Kelly
- Directed by Russel Stich
- 7:30 p.m. Friday, Nov 4
- 3 p.m. Saturday & Sunday, Nov 5 & 6
- STUDENT MATINEE: 10 a.m. Thursday, Nov 3
December 10 - 18, 2016 | Studio Theater
- Written by Rachel Spence
- Directed by Rachel Spence
- 7:30 p.m. Fridays, Dec 9 &16 3 p.m. Saturdays, Dec 10 & 17
- 3 p.m. Sundays, Dec 11 & 18
- STUDENT MATINEE: 10 a.m. Thursday, Dec 15
CARRIE the musical
March 24 – April 2, 2017 | Mackey Theater
- Music by Michael Gore
- Lyrics by Dean Pitchford
- Book by Lawrence D. Cohen
- Based on the novel by Stephen King
- Directed by Jonathan Kronenberger Music Direction by Larry Goodpaster
- 7:30 p.m. Fridays, March 24 & 31 7:30 p.m. Saturdays, March 25 & April 1
- 3 p.m. Sundays, March 26 & April 2
- STUDENT MATINEE: 10 a.m. Thursday, March 30
Auditions open to Beck Center students ages 12 to 19.
SCHOOLHOUSE ROCK LIVE!
May 12 - 21, 2017 | Mackey Theater
- Originally Adapted and Produced for the Stage by Theatre BAM
- From the Series Created by George Newall and Tom Yohe
- Based on an Idea by David McCall
- Book by Scott Ferguson, George Keating and Kyle Hall
- Music and Lyrics by Lynn Ahrens, Bob Dorough, Dave Frishberg,Kathy
- Mandry, George Newall and Tom Yohe
- Directed by Patrick Ciamacco
- Choreography by Rebecca Frick
- 7:30 p.m. Fridays, May 12 & 19 3 p.m. Saturdays, May 13 & 20
- 3 p.m. Sundays, May 14 & 21
- STUDENT MATINEE: 10 a.m. Thursday, May 18
Auditions open to Beck Center students ages 6 to 19.
Theater Education Information
Upcoming Master Class
Broadway actor, Baldwin-Wallace grad, and Northeast Ohio native, Corey Mach returns Saturday, October 29 from 2:30–5:30 p.m. to host an audition master class for actors ages 10 & up. The session includes:
- A talk through of the college audition experience including structure, tips, and recommendations for schools.
- A talk through of a professional auditions, including attire, resumes, headshots, and dancewear.
- Tips on how to choose the best material when picking songs and monologues.
- An audition coaching for each student of at least one piece, selected from your prepared 32-bar cuts of your audition songs or from your audition monologues.
Sponsored by Theater Alliance of Beck Center (TABC), space is limited, so reserve your spot as soon as possible. There is a participation fee of $40.00, payable either by cash or check made out to TABC.
To reserve your place in the master class, contact associate director of Theater Education, Jonathan Kronenberger at email@example.com or 216.521.2540 x27. (Please leave an email address if calling in your reservation.)
Theater Alum Making News
Beck Center’s Theater Education training is as eclectic as the students who study with us. Each semester we offer a selection of “core” classes to choose from that focus on theater fundamentals – acting, dance, improvisation, and singing – along with unique electives to expand each student’s repertoire, such as Shakespeare, Mime and Clowning, Playwriting, Script Analysis, to name a few.
- Rory O'Malley is the new King George in Broadway's red-hot HAMILTON - read his interview with Entertainment Weekly here!
- Learn about Rory's experience at Beck Center from cleveland.com "The theater community, and especially the Beck Center, really embraced me and got me started." - Rory
- Timothy Ryan Hickernell chats with Cleveland19 News about his film and Beck Center experience
- Isabela Moner stars in the hit Nickelodeon series "100 Things to do Before High School"
- Michael Chernus talks about his cable television role and Netflix series. "I learned a love of acting and craft at the Beck Center." Read full Plain Dealer article here.
Private Coaching is available for ages 10 to adult. These sessions are intended for the serious theater student to enhance skills and prepare material for auditions and/or college applications. To schedule an appointment, call Jonathan Kronenberger, associate director of Theater Education at 216.521.2540 x27.